Saturday, October 10, 2009

and now, a word from yours truly, Betty Crocker

Yesterday I went to Bible Study at Aunt Ellen's house. At the end, on her way out the door, another aunt, Rachel, mentioned she was going to make Apple Butter. We had a big bag of apples from another aunt, Laurel (there's a lot of aunts) so I asked her how she makes apple butter. her response? "Why don't you go pick up your apples and your dog and come on over and make some with me?! :)" So I did. (SideNote: My dog and her's are from the same litter. Sisters in fact. Sophia and Sota had a blast running around in their big yard. I was glad for Sota to spend the energy.)

When I got there, her apples had been on the stove so she went ahead and started the process. For me, I had to quarter my apples in and put them in a big pot. You don't have to peel or core the apples. Just clean the stem and root part of each apple. Then the apples are put on the stove with 2 cups of water/16 apples. We guessed because I didn't count. :)
Then, when they are all boiled down, you put them through the contraption shown below.

After they've gone through this, which serparates out the seeds and skin etc. You put the 'apple sauce looking substance' back on the stove. Then you add sugar, cinnamon and cloves.


My pot of apples after going through the 'masher' and having sugar, cinnamon and cloves added.



Once the apples boil down and the mixture thickens so it heaps on a spoon, you put it in jars to be canned.


Our big pot of boiling water to seal the jars.

you can't really see, but this is the rack the jars sit on and then are lowered under the boiling water.The jars getting sealed.
I really did this work myself! :)
The finished product.

I always have a good time at the Paine's house although it was a little quieter with out Julianne and Joslynne, but it was good to see Joleanna, Mack and Nick. By the end of the day the puppies (Sophia actually belongs to Joleanna) seemed pretty tuckered out. Thank you Rachel for having me over and for teaching me a new skill. :) Looking forward to Monday... :)



and one last picture of the cute puppies crashed.

3 comments:

Alisha said...

SWEET!!! Wish I'd been there - what could be cooler than hanging out with Rachel AND getting to make apple butter=) Hope it's yummy!

Jess said...

fun post! looks like such a cozy thing to do and you're making me want some warm apple butter on some hot freshly made bread! mmmM! u look like quite the betty crocker! and i had to laugh when u kept mentioning "yet another aunt" cause phil has SO many cousins! haha! that's so fun! and the puppies are cuties - i like how they're both sitting exactly the same - sisters, sisters ;) seeing u in that pic made me miss u even more! u guys need to come down here and see me!!! k? k...LOVE YOU!

Unknown said...

yeah Jess, or you could come up here!!! :) Glad you're still reading my blog! :)